Kathie’s Orange Slice Cake
• 1 cup butter
• 2 cups sugar
• 4 eggs
• 1 teaspoon soda
• ½ cup buttermilk
• 3 ½ cups flour
• 1 pound chopped dates ( recipes vary from 8 ounces to 14 ounces)
• 1 pound chopped orange slice candies (I used about 1 ½ lbs as indicated in another recipe but I think it was too much)
• 2 cups chopped pecans (optional – this was not part of the recipe I followed but will add next time)
• 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
• 1 cup orange juice
• 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Dissolve soda in buttermilk and add to creamed mixture.
2. Place flour in large bowl and add dates, orange slice candy, and nuts. Stir to coat all pieces well. Add flour mixture and coconut to creamed mixture. Dough will be very stiff and easier to mix with hands.
3. Put dough in a greased and floured bundt/tube pan.
4. Bake at 250 degrees for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until cake springs back when lightly pressed.
5. Combine orange juice and confectioners’ sugar and drizzle over hot cake in pan. Let the orange slice cake stand in the pan overnight before removing from pan.