Dutch Oven Cobblers
Great Camping Desert!
Note: This cobbler is prepared in a camp-style cast iron Dutch oven which has a lid with a lip so that hot coals may be set on top of the pan. A quick and easily prepared outdoor recipe for barbecues, picnics and camping trips!
Dutch Oven Cobbler
• 2 cans pie filling, various flavors
• Brown sugar (to taste)
• Cinnamon (to taste)
• 1 cake mix, yellow or white, or Bisquick (mixed with a little sugar or as a shortcake)
Take dutch oven and line with aluminum foil (for clean up only). Put pie filling in the dutch oven. If you use apple or peach, you mix in brown sugar and cinnamon to taste. Pineapple (crushed or tidbits) or fruit cocktail make a good change. If you use can of fruit, you will need little more brown sugar. Then mix either cake mix or Bisquick up. Pour over top of fruit mix. Cover dutch oven with cover. Put about 10-12 hot charcoals under the dutch oven, and about same amount charcoal on lid of dutch oven. Cook for about 20-25 minutes. Check occasionally so that top doesn’t get too hot and cook cake mix too fast.
It will serve about 8 people.
Easy Dutch Oven Cobbler
• 1 white cake mix
• 1 12 ounce can of Sprite or 7-Up
• 2 cans fruit pie filling (we like blueberry)
1. Pour fruit pie filling into a 6 quart Dutch oven. In a separate bowl, mix soda with cake mix. Batter will be lumpy. Pour over top of pie filling.
2. Bake with 20 coals on top and 10 on bottom until cake is golden color. Serve hot.
3. Wonderful served alone or with vanilla ice cream. Recipe can easily be doubled for 12 quart Dutch ovens