Jan’s Chicken Pot Pie
Always a favorite…
Yield: This makes a huge pot pie. I use an aluminum 11 ½ inch pan.
• ¼ cup butter or margarine
• ¼ cup flour
• 1 ½ cup chicken broth
• 1 ½ cup half and half (or milk of choice)
• ¾ tsp salt
• ½ tsp black pepper
• 1 small onion
• 3 blades celery
• 1 pkg. Lipton onion soup
• 1 pkg. Birdseye frozen to steam mixed vegetables
• 3 cups cooked chopped chicken
• 1 pkg. Pillsbury Refrigerator Pie Crusts
1. Melt ¼ cup butter in heavy sauce pan. Add flour, stirring until smooth.
2. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
3. In blender, blend ½ cup broth and onion and celery. Gradually add to sauce mixture along with rest of chicken broth and half and half (or milk of choice). Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
4. Microwave steamer vegetables, stir into sauce along with soup mix, and chicken. Mix well.
5. For this recipe, I roll the already prepared crust between two pieces of wax paper to fit the large pan. Use the extra that will be cut from the top crust to extend the bottom crust if necessary. You may want to experiment with two regular size pie pans or other pans that will give you a thicker pie, but a bit less crust.
6. Spoon filling into crust. Top with second pie crust. Crimp and trim edges. Using fork, punch holes into crust.
7. Cover crimped edges with aluminum foil so edges will not burn.
8. Bake in 375 degree oven for 30 to 40 min until golden brown.
9. Remove, let cool for a bit, and dig in!